Thursday, January 17, 2008

rain rain rain

Argh, If I wanted rain and cold for 3 days and counting I would have just stayed in NY. I'm really hoping this weather clears soon, but all I see in the forecast for the next week is unrelenting rain and cloudy skies. I wanted to do all these cool tours, but I'd really rather not in this weather. I'm making the best of the situation though...last night I met these 3 girls in the hostel who were all traveling alone, and we totally hit it off and went out to the bars together. (Funny how that happens, you meet one in an elevator, another in the bathroom, and before you know if you're traveling to the bars with 10 randoms from all over the world who you just met a few min before). So we all got to talking and they are so warm and friendly. One is American (18 years old, just a baby), another is a 22 Danish girl, and the other one is a 28 year old from Finland. Yay, I'm not the oldest!! It's so funny, they are all experiencing the same growing pains of traveling alone...the lonely hours, the self-doubt, etc. Commiserating with them about the weather, the fears we have, the excitement was really eye-opening about how no matter where you're from, how old you are, you still share the same hopes and fears. They all just started their travels, so we're all in the same boat. One of them is doing this work-travel thing where you go to different farms all over the place and help out with the farm work, and they cover your room and meals. I think I'm going to try it. I just might milk a cow.


So we had a lot of fun, though I couldn't drink! Had too much cheap wine the night before and my stomach was not having it. Glad I'm getting myself a little crew here in Sydney...in only 3 days, not too shabby. Getting together with a friend of a friend today, and not much else planned except a nap and then prob the salsa congress tonight if I can muster the energy (how excited am I that one of the biggest salsa events in the world is THIS weekend!). 





Well, I'm leaving this hostel in a few min to head to one on the beach, though I see no beach days in my immediate future. What the F?

2 comments:

rachael gray said...

if you end up milking a cow, i think you should post it right next to your donkey photo from st john, just so people get the right idea about you :)

miss you miss you
love rach

Sheri said...

If you end up milking a cow.....Oh, where did I go wrong????
I love you, MOM