Sunday, January 20, 2008

Now this is a storm

Two nights ago, I went to a low-key aussie house party. And by low key, I mean, not low key at all. In the main part of the house, there was a serious dance party going on. Everyone was really dressed up...apparently that's how they roll around here. Some were in costume for no reason I can decipher other than, why not? I looked a bit out of place in my shorts and flip flops, but no one seemed to mind. In the shed, they had set up blank canvases on the walls and people were drunkenly painting on them. Some of the stuff actually turned out pretty cool. 



I also met this great American girl named Katie. Funny how we three americans had found eachother in a party full of aussies! Kinda sad actaully, but I guess it makes sense. One very interesting thing I have noticed so far about the women here is that are very friendly, not nearly as catty and competitive as they generally are in NY. It's a nice change. They might still be judging you, but at least they are nice about it! 

So yesterday was a miracle of a day. The sun came out for the first time in 5 days, and the view absolutely took my breath away. I went jogging on a path around the cliffs and it's a good thing I didn't bring my ipod, cause my brain probably would have exploded from sheer sensory overload. It was a hard run and I had to limit my distance because I hadn't worked out in a week, but it was REALLY hard to make myself turn back. 

Here is a pic of my jogging path, although this really doesn't do the view justice.



After my run, I baked myself on the beach for much of the day, and after we came in, another storm came through the area. This one was spectacular... if we're gonna have rain, please let it be like this from now on! I ran outside with my camera and lenses (trying my best to keep them dry) and finally was able to get the kind of shots I came here for. I still have to learn my camera settings better so I can work faster and get better exposures, but here's what I got of the storm. I waited it out on the roof while it poured cause I had a feeling the sky would be spectacular when the rain had moved out of the area, and I'm glad I did cause I was the only one up there who got shots of the double rainbow that appeared when the sun came back out. I was so excited, I was squealing like a little girl (or like a pig, take your choice).







The contrast and colors are way better when they are not compressed for web, but you get the idea.

After the storm, I got myself together quickly to head out to the salsa congress. It took me 2+ hours to get there, and I had to take a combination of 4 busses and trains. By the time I got there, I had missed all but one performance, and although I didn't come specifically for the show, it would have been nice to see, especially after paying $45! At 10:30, the dancing started and it was REALLY fun. Truly one of the most amazing dance parties I've ever been to. I'm posting a video I took. The first half of the first video is of the kids that were there as a hint to you men reading this–start learning how to dance!! The women will LOVE YOU. Just look at them go! So cute, and already so successful with the ladies. The second half shows you what these parties are like and the kind of dancers that attend. Crazy outfits, nice people, all ages, races, etc. Now, getting home from the event was a nightmare. Sydney is not NY, and the trains all close down at midnight. Yikes. I had to take a $40 cab from the event which was at the Sydney Olympic Park (amazing place, but freaking HUGE) to the city, then find a way back to Bondi beach at 2 in the morning. I hiked the streets until I finally found a bus going back to the beach, but that taught me a lesson. Never venture into the Sydney suburbs after midnight ever again. It's just not worth the pain.

No comments: