Monday, March 24, 2008

Blues and Bumper Cars

Byron Bay has this amazing 5-day Blues festival each year and I timed my surf trip to land me here in time to check out the concert. It’s the busiest weekend of the year in Byron, and the energy of this little hippie town is simply out of control. My friend Celine and I got to the festival at around 1:30 on Saturday and met up with all the surf camp instructors/employeees later in the day. They are out of their minds.



I took my big, heavy camera with me and was kind of annoyed I had it until I started snapping shots in the afternoon. I had so much fun with that thing, and people respond really well to you when they think you’re an official concert photographer…

Here are some of the shots I got over the course of the festival. Just tried to generally capture the mood and the energy of the concert-goers. I've never really shot people before so this is kind of new for me, but I think I could really enjoy doing more portrait work.










We stayed at the show till the very end and it was a great way to end a fantastic week.


We listened to some really amazing acts, including John Butler (I think I may have actually shed a tear, he was so good), Gotye, Rodrigo y Gabriele, Cat Empire, Beautiful Girls, Agnes and Julia Stone (really worth the listen) and many others. We had a three-day pass so we went each day and put in some serious hours. The acts were true quality and I’m so excited to have had the opportunity to listen to so many artists I’ve never heard of.

So that about wraps it up for now! Today is Tuesday, figure out my life day. I think the reality has really begun to set in that I need to find a job, but not working for 2 months has completely spoiled me and I have no idea what to do with myself! Yikes!

No comments: