Tuesday, February 5, 2008

5 am for photos...

The weather here has been very unpredictable, and every time I've had the energy to wake myself up at dawn to get my sunrise shots over Bondi, the sky would invariably be overcast and rain would be coming down in torrents. Well, I checked the weather report incessantly yesterday and made sure I was in bed by 10 so I could be up and at my location as the sun was rising. I got out at just the right time, though it took an hour to walk to the cliff top cemetery, so the light was a bit too bright. I guess 7:30 is just not early enough. Anyway, here are a select few of the 150+ shots I got. Finally, I got to use my treasured tripod! I'm so excited to be taking pictures again and to be inspired by my surroundings.










If I can get a nap in, the rest of today will be spent surfing (went out a few days ago with my friend who gave me the following instruction: Paddle out, turn around, wait for a wave, start paddling hard, stand up. She didn't tell me just how much sea water I'd be swallowing in the process, but I have to say, despite the beating I took (even my rib cage is sore), I'm kind of hooked.

Tonight will be another early night for me because the ferry ride to the island is actually going to happen tomorrow morning. I can't believe it's for real, that this perfect opportunity to take the kind of pictures I came here to take just fell into my lap. It's all weirdly serendipitous. I'm getting picked up at my door, and we will be heading off to this industrial waste land in the middle of the harbor to get early morning shots. Hopefully they will be much darker, moodier photos than the ones I have posted here. There will also be a person with us who knows the history of the island and all these cool secret spots, so I'm pretty psyched about the fact that there will be some knowledge behind the pictures I'll be taking. It is supposed to rain tomorrow which will either make the shots really cool or annoy the hell out of me. Stay tuned...

No comments: