Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The good news…

is that I got a job!! A photography job! The guy I’ve been stalking about it called me this morning whilst I was slaving away in the café. He said one of their employees was leaving sooner than expected and that they needed someone ASAP. I almost shrieked with excitement. It’s really hard to find work around here, let alone fun work that pays relatively well. The main crux of the job involves frolicking about in the sea taking pics of the surfers standing up on their boards for the first time. Really taxing work.

And now for the bad news. I have to drive to the lessons… in a MANUAL car. I have no idea how to drive stick (other than the few lessons I got about 6 years ago from a certain Rachael Shipkin before our epic drive from MD to FL). I also have to burn disks after the lessons are over and drop them off around town at whichever hostels the students are staying. Anyone who knows me well knows that my sense of direction is not one of my saving graces. There are about 4 roads in this town, which means I’m pretty much guaranteed to end up in New Zealand (I can’t even be trusted with one road…I inevitably go the wrong way). Oh, and did I mention they drive on the wrong side of the road here? I can’t even figure out which way to look before crossing the street. This should be interesting.

So the guy in charge of hiring said he’d give me some driving lessons. He was working at the surf school part time as a photographer, but broke his leg and is pretty much bed-bound for a while. I’m sure it will be very entertaining for him to watch me totally thrash his car. (Ironically enough, he’s the same guy that was working here at the hostel and because he broke his leg, I had to work at the café instead of the bar. Funny how that one lost opportunity directly led to another one opening up for me). I’d call it serendipitous, but I have no idea how this will all turn out so I won’t say much more about it until I think it’s a done deal. And it very well may not be because of the driving issue, but I’m preparing myself for disappointment. If this doesn’t work out, I’ll just stalk the other surf company until the cows come home. I also met a photographer on the beach while I was surfing the other day and he offered to take me with him to assist on his shoots around the area. I’d have jumped right on that opportunity, but he’s an older gentleman and I worry that he may be more into hitting on me than helping me. So I’ll have to go with my gut on that one.

And now for the even worse news… a boy was killed here the other day by a shark. He was a 16-year-old out with his friend on a nearby beach early in the morning yesterday when a shark came up and bit off his leg. His friend tried to save him, but he had lost too much blood. It was the first shark attack since 1993. So sad and scary… these waters around here are no joke. Also kind of scary that I joked around about a shark attack on my last posting about the jellyfish and the red ant attacks I endured last week. I guess one shouldn’t ever really jest about sharks.

Anyway, that’s all for now. I’ll keep you posted on my driving misadventures…I daresay that given the current state of my knowledge about driving here, I’d be safer in the water.

1 comment:

Bonnie Luria said...

Hi Kayla- I'm a friend of your dad's here on St. Croix. He suggested I have a look at your blog and website.
Your art on his CD cover is quite wonderful as is his gorgeous violin playing.
I thought this was a wild place in terms of the natural world but it sounds like you've taken on a whole lot.
You'll be ready for this place since we also drive on the left.
Enjoy your adventures!